Year 8 Options
Summer Term marks the start of the GCSE options process for our Year 8 students. This is an exciting time for them as they will need to decide which GCSE subjects they wish to study. We are aware of the significance of this process and take it very seriously.
A Virtual Options Evening film – this will help you to understand the process
The Options Process
A selection of films to explain the content of the GCSE and vocational subjects
Core Curriculum Offer
Art & Design
Cambridge National Level 2 Engineering Design
Cambridge National Level 2 ICT
Level 2 Certificate in Performance for Music Practitioners
Technology Product Design
Cambridge National Level 2 Sports Studies
Options Booklet – gives a more detailed description of the courses
Options checklist for students and parents
Student Advice – Do
- Consider whether your choices are flexible for a variety of routes post 16.
- Think about progression into the Sixth Form where a range of A level and vocational courses are available.
- Think about why you like or dislike subjects.
- Think about which subjects you enjoy and why and find out about the new subjects on offer.
Student Advice – Don’t
- Choose a subject just because you like the teacher. You may not have them next year.
- Reject a subject just because you don’t like the teacher. You may not have them next year.
- Choose a subject because you think it is easy. All exam subjects will be demanding.
- Choose a subject because your friend is doing it. You may have different career plans and may end up in different groups.
- We cannot guarantee that you will get exactly what you ask for.
- This will depend on the demand for each subject and staffing limits.
- The final decision is the Schools in consultation with students and parents.