John Willmott is an Aim Higher Plus school as we have a high percentage of students that live in areas that the government have targeted for funding, to increase the number of students applying to university. We work with Aim Higher (a not for profit organisation) and our local universities to provide a programme of support and activities, to encourage students from Year 9 to 13 to apply to university or good apprenticeships.
Activities include in school mentoring for year 9 and 10 by our under graduate mentor Laurel Rose. The Year 9 programme is all about independence and students participate in a trip to University College Birmingham where they deliver a presentation to staff there. They tour the campuses and get to see the facilities and students studying. We also take them to Nandos where they all enjoy a free meal paid for by Aim Higher.
Apart from the mentoring programme, we organise amazing trips and residentials for all years, such as:
- Make Your Move at the University of Birmingham (Year 12), which is a sixth form induction activity where students get a taste of university.
- Reach Higher which is a climbing activity which challenges Year 10 students to aspire to progress to great careers.
- Cultural Capital days where students visit a city university and also visit local attractions in that city such is the Ice Skating Rink and Galleries of Justice in Nottingham
- Individual taster days targeted at specific career paths
- Unifest and Future fest residential activities at university for Year 10 and 12.
- Campus visits for all years
Hi, my name is Ryan Scannell and I am the Aimhigher Progression Ambassador at John Willmott School. My role in the school is to increase aspirations and awareness of Higher Education. Students attend various trips and mentoring sessions throughout the year, which will enable them to make informed decisions about their future. I graduated from University College Birmingham in September 2018, where I studied BSc (Hons) Sports Therapy. Going to university was a massive achievement as I was the first to go from my family. In my free time, I enjoy gaming, watching football and training at the gym.
Ryan: Aim Higher Ambassador
Laurel: Undergraduate Mentor