Next Steps Year 13
We ensure all of our students receive appropriate advice regarding their ‘next steps’ during their time at John Willmott School. Click the logos below to access the information you need quickly
We are fully committed to ensuring all of our students leave our school and sixth form with a place in higher education, employment or further training.
Approximately 90% of our sixth formers apply to higher education and they are very well served by a comprehensive Information, Advice and Guidance programme throughout Year 12.
All students attend an Enrichment week in June to begin the process of identifying an appropriate University Course or Career Path. Our Post-16 IAG Co-ordinator interviews students individually about university and career choices and leads tutors in the completion of UCAS applications and academic references.
All students are encouraged to attend university Open Days and all Year 12 students attend a higher education fair at one of the universities in Birmingham. A number of our most able students are encouraged to apply for Oxford and Cambridge, Medicine, Veterinary Science, Dentistry and Law.
We are privileged to work with Aimhigher – aimhigherwm.ac.uk
Aimhigher is a partnership of universities, schools and colleges in the West Midlands, and together we try to make sure that young people from our area, and from backgrounds with no experience of university, are given every chance to explore the world of higher education:
- We visit local schools and colleges to give information, advice and guidance on higher education, and on the learning and career choices young people and their parents or carers face at 14, 16 and 18
- We run masterclasses, campus visits and taster sessions to give young people in Years 9, 10, 11 and 12 the chance to see how exciting and challenging learning is at different universities
- We train current university students to work as mentors with hundreds of school and college learners every year
- We work with employer organisations, to give young people chances to explore the incredible range of graduate level careers available
- We run a mentoring programme with various Universities and colleges in the region.
This includes UniFest
UniFest is a programme of residential summer schools offered by 6 universities in the West Midlands:
- Aston University
- Birmingham City University
- Newman University
- University College Birmingham
- University of Birmingham
- University of Worcester
UniFest is for year 10 students who are considering higher education and need information, advice and support to reach their full potential
Students who do not want to go to university or wish to take an alternative career route are supported through our Careers Advice service and a programme of outside speakers to provide students with careers information.